The Henshaw farm, which was adjacent to the Ward farm, had been leased to tenants who paid the Wards with a share of the produce. In 1843 this arrangement ended and the main farm took over all agricultural production.
The house has not always retained its proud yellow color. During war time, only battleship gray paint was available. The house was painted as part of its ordinary maintenance, and for a time it was forgotten that the house had once been yellow.