Elizabeth wrote Old times in Shrewsbury, a history of the town.
A very small, saltbox style house was built, possibly for use by tenants on the Ward farm. The family lived across the street in a large two-story farmhouse.
The Henshaw farm, which was adjacent to the Ward farm, had been leased to tenants who paid the Wards with a share of the produce. In 1843 this arrangement ended and the main farm took over all agricultural production.
Samuel Denny Ward was the last Ward to farm the property.