Born 1798 in Shrewsbury. He taught school then became store clerk in Boston. He opened a store in Boston in 1824 but then moved to Connecticut and became a successful store-owner and active member of town. He married Harriet P. Grosvenor in 1825 in Pomfret, CT; together they had 7 children. He returned to Shrewsbury in 1829 to take over the running of house and farm from his father. He helped to adapt the farm to changes in the local economy by focusing on dairy production. He also served as a magistrate and was active in the temperance and anti-slavery movements. He died 1890 in Shrewsbury.