The front hall was added to the house in 1785. Notably, the hall introduced another front door to the house, leading to the symmetrical two door appearance from the outside. Combined with the new staircase, this new door allowed the 1785 addition to operate independently of the old part of the house. It enabled two generations of Wards to live in the house at the same time with a measure of privacy and independence. View more details.